Here we are, the middle of November with December 1st is quickly approaching. If you haven't taken the time to train your employees on WHMIS 2015 compliance yet, it's not too late - but time is running out. For more information or to book training before the December 1st deadline call 1.866.347.7707 and speak to one of our safety training associates or Contact Us.
Here is a partial Employer Compliance Checklist:
- Do you know which materials in your workplace are classified as hazardous products under WHMIS?
- Do all containers of hazardous products received from a supplier have a supplier label?
- Have you made and attached workplace labels to hazardous products:
a. produced in-house for use in your own workplace?
b. decanted from the original supplier container into another container?
- Do you have a process in place to update supplier and workplace labels with significant new data about a hazardous product?
- Do you have current SDSs for hazardous products received from a supplier?
- Are copies of SDSs readily available to workers? Do workers know how to access SDSs that are in electronic format?
- Have you identified all workers required to receive WHMIS training and instruction?
- Do you have a process to verify that workers have understood their training and know how to safely handle any hazardous products they use? How to find SDSs? What to do in an emergency?
- Have workers been trained on the topics set out in section 7 of the WHMIS Regulation? Was the information provided to workers tailored to circumstances and conditions in your workplace?
- Did you consult the Joint Health and Safety Committee or a Health and Safety Representative about the development and delivery of the worker training?