It’s likely you know a thing or two about FR. You know that FR clothing protects your workforce against severe burn injuries and even death as a result of thermal incidents on the job. You know it’s also required by law in many different industries, under many different OHSA regulations. But did you know that all FR clothing is not created equal. Do you know all the factors to consider when making your FR purchase?
To help you make this important decision, the experts at International Sew Right have put together a list of features for consideration when buying FR to ensure the clothing you choose will keep your workforce safe and compliant, no matter what the job throws at them.1. Know and adhere to your company’s or client's policies for health and safety. Some people are unaware that they can be refused entry onto a company’s job site for wearing the wrong garment.
2. Understand what specific type of fire-retardant garment is required. Does it meet compliance regulations. There are many fire-retardant fabrics having different weights, colours and weave styles. Fabrics are tested by the manufacturer to withstand certain arc flash, molten metal and welding splatter hazards. Stating a fabric has fire retardant capabilities can mean many things. One style, weight or weave may not meet all requirements.
3. Are there any restrictions you should be aware of such as:
- Is the garment allowed to have pockets, e.g. for radios etc.?
- Are spark-resistant zippers required?
- What brand is desired, e.g. 3M or an import?
- What is the required width - 1”, 2”, 3” 4”?
- Are there specific colour requirements?
- Are there specific style requirements?
- Is it iron-on or sewn-on?
5. All FR clothing’s stated protection level should be guaranteed for the life of the garment.
6. The FR clothing you select should be made with durable fabric that is strong enough to resist tears, rips and holes. The construction of your FR clothing should be sound, including strong seams and reinforced fabric in high-stress areas.
When real lives are on the line and corporate reputations are at stake you can turn to International Sew Right. We’re the custom PPE sewing powerhouse in Niagara. We balance the demand for PPE that looks great and protects you where you need it most. If we can help in any way, please contact us at