Supervisor Competency Training
Most Frequent Course Requested by Our Clients
In a progressive move the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development introduced Supervisor Awareness in 5 Steps training in 2014. This mandated training gives those in a supervisory position or new to a supervisory position a basic understanding on how to carry out their roles.
The Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) defines a supervisor as “a person who has charge of a workplace or authority over a worker”. With the high expectations and legal responsibilities that come with the supervisory position, supervisors must be equipped to carry out their roles to meet MLTSD guidelines competently. [OHSA S. 27.(1)(2)]
Competence comes from a combination of knowledge, training and experience to organize the work and how it is to be performed, and performed safely.
You have appointed supervisors with experience and knowledge, now be certain that they receive the necessary training to prepare them to be "competent" for their duties and responsibilities.
Workplace Safety Group completely re-purposed this course to cover more than the basic awareness training as outlined in the Act [OHSA.27.(1)(2)]. It now provides those in a supervisory position with a knowledge base on how to effectively carry out their roles.
- Identify the importance of the supervisor's role
- Duties, Rights, Roles & Responsibilities of employers, supervisors & workers
- Navigating the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA)
- Learn & Understand the roles of the Ministry of Labour (MOL) & WSIB
- The supervisor’s role within the Internal Responsibility System (IRS)
- Explaining R. A. C. E. – Recognizing, Assessing, Controlling & Evaluating hazards
- Understanding Due Diligence
- Role & Function of the JHSC member or the Health & Safety Rep.
- Work Refusal Process
- Finding resources to assist with health and safety concerns
- Showing workers why safety is important (culture building)
- The supervisor’s toolkit
- This course incorporates the Supervisor Awareness in 5 Steps MLTSD mandated training
Who should take this course:
- Lead Hands/Shift Leads
- Length: 6.5 hours approx.
- Individual Price in a public course: $295.00 + HST. See top right corner of page for on-line registration. (Please note that we must have a subscription of a minimum of 6 participants for this course)
- Groups 6-12: For in-house training - $1,750.00 + HST. Our instructors come to your workplace - any shift including weekends - making this an ideal option for group training. For more information please email our Client Success Team or call us at 1.866.347.7707
- Participant's Manual plus a guide book
- 2019 OHS&A "Green Book"
- Numerous sample forms available
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancellations received less than 5 business days prior to a course start date will not be refunded. Workplace Safety Group reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a training session. A $25.00 Administration Fee will apply to all customer requested cancellations.