Lockout & Tagging
When machines or equipment are being prepared for service or maintenance, they often contain some form of “hazardous energy” that can cause harm to people in the area.When we talk about hazardous energy, we mean any type of energy that can be released and might harm a person. This could include energy of the following types:
- Other sources of energy
Energy sources including electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, chemical, thermal, or other sources in machines and equipment can be hazardous to workers. During the servicing and maintenance of machines and equipment without the use of proper LOTO safety procedures, the serviced equipment can unexpectedly start up or otherwise release these forms of energy. This can lead to injuries and even death to the people working on the machine and even to others working in the area or living in the community.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Workers in manufacturing, construction and agriculture
- Managers and supervisors
- Maintenance and serviceg personnel
- Safety professionals and engineers
- Project managers and safety committee members.
After completion your workplace should be able to put in place or improve a LOTO safety control program that is required by law. The hazardous energy control program will include established procedures for using locks and tags; the locks and tags themselves; training workers on hazards of hazardous energy and lockout/tagout procedures, policies, and equipment; and establish timing for periodic reviews and inspections of the system.
- Introduction to and Application of the legal standards (Federal, Provincial and CSA)
- Roles & Responsibilities according to OHSA
- Understanding Lockout/tagout procedures applying the following six steps:
- Stored energy check
- Isolation verification
- Length: Half-Day to be delivered in a public classroom or at an on-site location
- On-site Groups of 6 to 12: $1,100.00 Contact our Health & Safety Advisors for in-house training rates
- Participant Handbook
- Digest version of OH&S Act & Regulations
- Facilitator-led, Powerpoint presentation
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancellations received less than 5 business days prior to a course start date will not be refunded. Workplace Safety Group reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a training session. A $25.00 Administration Fee will apply to all customer requested cancellations.