Working at Heights | CPO Approved
Who Needs to Take This Training?
All workers exposed to a fall hazard, as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, need training, knowledge and experience to recognize hazards and protect themselves when working at a height or depth greater than three metres (10 feet). These workers include:
- Construction & Construction-Related Industry Workers
- Service or Maintenance Workers working over 3 metres in height
- Utility Workers
- Roofing, Siding and Window Installer
- Aerial Work Platform Workers
Falls happen all too often and are the leading cause of fatalities in the construction industry. This course will provide participants with the basic knowledge needed to work safely in work areas where there may be exposure to fall hazards.
Our CPO approved course addresses safe work practices and procedures as specified in Regulations empowered by the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and the MLTSD (Ministry of Labour, Training & Skills Development) plus applicable Federal regulations. All instructors have successfully completed and are certified under the Mentor Quality Assurance Policy (Pro 34577).
The full-day training is delivered in two segments, a theoretical portion, and a practical component.
This course is approved by the Chief Prevention Officer of Ontario. (ID Number PRO-34577)
Course Segment DetailsTheoretical Segment
- Rights & Responsibilities related to Working at Heights under the OHSA Act & Regs. 213/91
- Fall Hazard Recognition
- Hierarchy of Controls & Safe Work Strategies
- Equipment Selection & Application
- Energy dissipation principles and fall clearances
- Safety Procedures for Hazard Warning Methods & Physical Barriers
- Safety Procedures For Ladders & Similar Equipment; Lifting Devices
- An Introduction to Personal Fall Protection Equipment-Selection, Donning, Doffing & Maintenance
- Hands-on demonstration of specific Personal Fall Protection Equipment
- Equipment Inspection, Care and Maintenance
- Fall Protection Principles, Systems and Components
- Barriers & Safety Nets
- Anchor Points
- Ladder safety, Scaffold safety and EWP & AWP safety
- Fall Prevention & Rescue Plans
- On-site First Aid for a Fallen Worker
We provide Working at Heights training sessions as open enrolment courses as well as closed groups at your worksite, place of business or in rented spaces.
Length: 8 Hours - Saturday classes available on request.
Individual Price: $150.00. We accept VISA and Master Card. Corporate account are welcome.
Groups: 8 to 48 needing on-site training: Contact our Client Care Advisor for Rates and Dates - TF (519) 870-6930
NOTE: During this time of social distancing and sanitizing we ask that learners supply their own harness.
**MLTSD now requires learners to provide photo ID (Provincial ID, Driver's License, Citizenship Card, or Employee ID Card) at time of registration. If you do not provide proper identification WSG may refuse you access to the classroom and you may not receive a refund.**
This program is conducted in English and best suited for participants with good English comprehension. Please advise our office at the time of booking and prior to the start of the course of any comprehension concerns or if you will be providing a translator when warranted. The instructors will do their best to accommodate, however, we cannot be held responsible for any situation where comprehension was a factor due to a language barrier or impediment.
Working at Heights Recertification
After three years, refresher training must be taken by workers. Workers renew their Working at Heights certification by successfully completing a CPO-approved half-day “refresher” training program. For more details visit our product page.
Workplace Safety Group offers this Chief Prevention Officer approved Mentor Safety Program that is delivered to you by an approved Mentor Safety instructor. All instructors have successfully completed and maintained Quality Assurance protocol as per the Mentor Quality Assurance Plan. PRO34577.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancellations received less than 3 business days prior to a course start date will not be refunded. Workplace Safety Group reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a training session. A $25.00 Administration Fee will apply to all customer requested cancellations.